My Art Practice

My Art Practice DWAYNE COLEMAN M00240700

My Art Practice consists of all types of art, however I specialize in painting and portraiture. I feel when you are creating a portrait you develop much more of a relationship with the piece of art you are creating. When painting I love to manipulate the paint and create dynamic brush stokes that all build up to create a portrait. I feel that I work at my best when working large scale. I usually create 5ft by 3ft portrait paintings that are full with colour. These include people who are very close to me and that I have strong relationship with. In the near future I'm planning to work at a much bigger scale around the sizes 8ft by 6ft.
Another media I am also very interested in photography. I feel blown away when I see a photography that has captured its subject perfectly. I also enjoy the process of developing my own images by using an analogue camera and working in the darkroom. It feels to me like I’ve achieved more than if I was to capture an image using a digital camera. Photographs that interest me the most are the ones that are completely striking and have strong contrast (black and white), or strong powerful colours.
Some artists and photographers that influenced me greatly over the past 4 years include, Jenny Saville, Lucien Fruid, Jonathan Yeo and a Leicester based painter called Paul Wright, Corinne Day, Rankin and Boogie.
Jenny Saville and Paul Wright have probably influenced me the most, if I have ever found myself challenged with any of my paintings I would refer to their work for inspiration. They both have very different styles but both use a lot of colour, which I like. Jenny Saville is a much more extreme artist and paints her work at a much larger, whereas Paul Wright is quite modest and paints at a more of a realistic and sensible way.
During this course, video has become a part of my practice. I had never done it before, as we didn’t cover it as a module during college. Now that I have tried film I find it very interesting. I really enjoy making short films that people can be able to discuss a lot. I recently created my own short film as part of my course. This consisted of a sinister based feel throughout. I created the illusion of a murder. I didn’t make this completely clear this was to create mystery. I staged someone washing his or her bloodstained hands. I cut the film into sharp, short sections, which made it feel more intense. I felt the feedback I received was very positive and peers gave me feedback also that the film intrigued them. I was very pleased with the result of this project.
Lectures throughout the course so far have made me think a lot deeper into the world of art, things that I haven’t had the opportunity to explore, until now. I have also learnt about a lot of conceptual artists, which go against the ‘typical’ and the ‘press’. This has inspired me to create my own project using the same concept. My project will consist of defacing glamor models, typical celebrities and political figures. I decided to do this because I feel these people are almost put on pedestals and are viewed as more important than everyone else. I feel this is wrong as we all should be viewed equal, and it is not a help to society to have these as role models. I would like to go to a larger scale with this project and experiment with different types of printing.
I feel overall that university has opened my eyes a lot more to all aspects of art. Even though my strong point is portraiture painting, I will now consider all aspects of art to widen my range. I think in doing so, I myself will benefit a lot from it.